The Palatine Chapel in Palermo (Cappella Palatina)(video)

The Palatine Chapel in Palermo (Cappella Palatina) Commenced by Roger II and consecrated in 1140. The Chapel is inscribed on UNESCO’s World Heritage List. The Palatine Chapel is the royal chapel of the Norman kings of Kingdom of Sicily situated on the first floor at the center of the Norman Palace in Palermo. The chapel is a great symbol of multi-cultural cooperation. Craftsmen of three different religious traditions worked alongside each other. The madonna below Christ Pantocrator is an addition from the 18th century. Originally there was a window there. The Palatine Chapel, consecrated on Palm Sunday, 28 April, 1140, is inscribed on UNESCO’s World Heritage List. The mosaics in the Palatine Chapel were probably made by the same craftsmen that made the mosaics in the Martorana and the central apse of the Cathedral in Cefalù. The wooden ceiling of star-shaped panels, carved and painted by 12th century craftsmen from Maghreb. Originally there were 50 windows (later blocked) designed to illuminate at all times of the day the stories told on the wall. The texts in the chapel are written in Greek, Arabic and Latin. The term “Normans” (“men from the North”) applied first to the people of Scandinavia in […]